Latest Mersey Gateway figures reveal record-breaking months for journeys over the new toll bridge that links Runcorn and Widnes.
The newly-released figures show that between October and December 2018:
- Six million journeys were made across the Mersey Gateway Bridge.
- More than 96% of journeys were paid before the payment deadline of midnight the day after crossing.
- October was a record month with the most journeys ever (2,120,000) over the Mersey Gateway Bridge.
- Average daily traffic levels in October and November were the highest ever recorded.
- The number of journeys resulting in a Penalty Charge Notice, and the percentage of revenue generated through PCNs, has fallen.
Mersey Gateway Time Bank to return to boost Halton communities in 2019 Read more →
The Mersey Gateway has been awarded the prestigious Infrastructure Award at the RICS Grand Final following its earlier Project of the Year win at the regional heats.
Latest Mersey Gateway figures show an increase in total journeys and average daily traffic on the new toll bridge connecting Runcorn and Widnes.
Mersey Gateway Bridge crossings reach over 23 million as the iconic structure celebrates its first anniversary
The iconic Mersey Gateway Bridge has welcomed over 23 million journeys in its first year of operation, averaging 64,000 crossings per day and 72,000 each weekday.
At midnight on the 14 October 2017 the new bridge opened to traffic following a spectacular night of celebration with a light and fireworks display enjoyed by tens of thousands of people across Halton.