New look signage set to be installed across Mersey Gateway route as part of future-proofing exercise as Silver Jubilee plans develop
There will be a new look to signage on and approaching the Mersey Gateway Bridge starting this month.
Drivers and residents will see the ‘Large Red C’ symbol on the new signs – the ‘C’ stands for ‘charge’. It will be very familiar to anyone who has seen congestion charge signage in London and be instantly recognisable to many people as symbolising there is a charge to pay for crossing the bridge.
The IABSE Outstanding Structure Award (OStrA) was established in 1998. It is one of the highest distinctions awarded by IABSE and recognises, in different regions of the world, some of the most remarkable, innovative, creative, or otherwise stimulating structures. Sustainability and respect of the environment is also an important factor. This Award recognises the most remarkable, innovative, creative or otherwise stimulating structure completed within the last few years. The Awards are restricted to a maximum of one Award per year. The Outstanding Structure Award Committee was chaired by Mr. Naeem Hussain.
Latest Mersey Gateway figures reveal record-breaking months for journeys over the new toll bridge that links Runcorn and Widnes.
The newly-released figures show that between October and December 2018:
- Six million journeys were made across the Mersey Gateway Bridge.
- More than 96% of journeys were paid before the payment deadline of midnight the day after crossing.
- October was a record month with the most journeys ever (2,120,000) over the Mersey Gateway Bridge.
- Average daily traffic levels in October and November were the highest ever recorded.
- The number of journeys resulting in a Penalty Charge Notice, and the percentage of revenue generated through PCNs, has fallen.
Mersey Gateway Time Bank to return to boost Halton communities in 2019 Read more →
The Mersey Gateway has been awarded the prestigious Infrastructure Award at the RICS Grand Final following its earlier Project of the Year win at the regional heats.